Environmental Degradation is a rising threat to our lovely planet Earth. So let’s learn what are it’s causes, effects and remedies to control it.
‘Environmental degradation’ is referred as a process in which the natural resources and environment is compromised/depleted in some way, reducing biological diversity and the general health of the environment. Environmental degradation can be entirely natural in origin, or it can be accelerated or caused by human activities.
Environmental degradation is an umbrella concept which covers a variety of issues. It includes Pollution, Biodiversity loss and Animal extinction, Deforestation and Desertification, Global Warming, and a lot more.
The state of our environment has been deteriorating for at-least the past couple of centuries. And virtually every part of the planet has been touched by this process by one way or another. It would be no exaggeration to say that environmental degradation was jump-started by the industrial revolution that took place in the 19th century.
There are basically two factors that lead to environmental degradation :
- Natural factors: It includes Droughts; Storms on sea, land and deserts such as Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Catrina and Volcanic eruptions. These factors lead to land degradation caused by erosion.
- Man-made factors: It includes Deforestation, Industrialization, Urbanization, Economic growth, Population growth, Intensified agriculture, Rising energy use and transportation. These factors mostly leads to Air, Land and Water pollution.
- The main effect or “consequence” of our complete disregard for the natures stems from the inability of air, water and land to deliver undisturbed environmental services required all living organisms.
- Polluted air, water and land bring about disease and endless misery to humans, animals and plants.
- In many countries crop harvest are falling as consumption increases. People don’t get nutritious food to eat.
- Losing the Earth’s beauty.
- Global warming.
We can help save our environment by doing following things:
- Reduce pollution.
- Reduce pesticides, practice organic farming.
- Protect natural habitats.
- Reduce deforestation, increase tree plantation
- Develop alternative energy sources.
- Purchase recycled products.
- Conserve water
- Do not litter or toss waste into public places and other inappropriate places .
- Make people aware about environmental degradation, it’s effects and remedies.
- Protect animals
The damage that we cause to the environment is currently not counted as a cost in economic and social terms. This lack of “environmental value” has allowed us to over-exploit “free natural resources” which are of-course not free.
We have to change this paradigm of our interaction with the environment. The nature doesn’t owe us anything. It is not there for us to ‘control’ and ‘manage’ it either. We were born to live in harmony with it indeed, we are a big part of it. And we certainly don’t have right to exploit and destroy it without thinking about the future generations of humans and animals. Who will be here after us.
Let’s Protect Our Planet EARTH Together…!
You may Love Reading:
- Best Inspirational Wallpapers for iPhone and iPad (1st is my Favourite)
- Jay Shetty Quotes and Life Lessons You Don’t Want to Miss !
Comment below more Remedies and Methods we can take to reduce Environmental Degradation.